Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The road is long

J-man has been going to his new speech therapist for nearly one month. Not long, to be sure. But his mouth has been moving more in the past few months than it ever has, making attempts at sounds and words every day. So our new therapist has had some of the best exposure to his new 'skills'.

I asked her yesterday if, given her experience and what she now sees J-man doing, if she thought Apraxia was the right diagnosis for him.

She said yes. Most definitely.

Of course, we both agree that it isn't the end of the story.... there is more going on that just apraxia. But getting a definitive diagnosis of apraxia has been hard because up until a few months ago, he wasn't making enough attempts to say anything. Now, however, she can "see" the oral-motor sequencing problems.

There are days, when J-man is trying hard and doing good, when I feel like maybe we will see the end of this road sooner rather than later. And then there are days... like today... when I just can't imagine how we will ever make it.

3 comments:

HeathSaw said...

My daughter just started private speech on top of her therapy at school and I can tell you that its an amazing difference.

I see your son just turned 3. I wonder if three is a good age because they become more aware of the importance of communicating.

Good luck to you!

Heidi said...

I am a pediatric speech pathologist AND a mom of a soon-to-be 5 yr old with apraxia. I stumbled across your blog through the Apraxia-Kids listserv and have been following it diligently. I have enjoyed it immensely and have learned so much from you. Your parent perspective has made me a better therapist. I thought that having my son go through it too was giving me a different viewpoint on how to work with parents but I think I am learning more from you!

My son had Early Intervention therapy and private therapy. He currently is just getting the therapy through the 3-5 yr program at the school district now. Private therapy is on hold until May when we go for a re-eval. His apraxia seems to have resolved and the lingering effects are still articulation errors and fluency. He stutters and has been for about 9 months now. He used to be very "robotic" in his speech pattern. But, hey, I'll take it! At least he is talking and has come so so so far already! This journey is a marathon, not a sprint and your son WILL cross that finish line of communication too!

Pia said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I must believe we will get there (is there any other choice?!?!) but sometimes it just seems daunting! But hey, we will keep on hanging on!

Tracker


View My Stats