Sunday, June 27, 2010

Wishing Momma's Ears Worked Better

Oh, how frustrating it must be to not be understood.  Is it any wonder kids with language disorders disengage from us???

I took this video today of J-man engaging in some of his new "self talk".  He is looking at a Disney catalog.  I have found him playing, looking at books, etc, while talking to himself like this often.  My ear tries to hear if there are words in there, but often it just sounds like jargon to me. 

However, at one point he brings me the catalog and tries to show/tell me something.



Now, I had no idea what he was trying to tell me.  I thought he was referring to the bike.  But after I put down the video camera and really LOOKED at the book, I saw an ad for Wall-E's eyes (key chain I think).  He was trying to tell me Wall-E!  He pulled me to his TV room to try and tell me he wanted to watch Wall-E!  When I looked at the video I clearly heard him say it... twice.

I am trying, buddy.  Hang in there, I am trying!

2 comments:

Apraxia Mom said...

Great vocal play he has! Hang in there, you'll get it. I still have those days....many days....when I can't get it. But when you do, the look on their face in priceless!

Heather said...

This video made me cry.... soo sweet! I've been feeling like I am in the same situation with my son.... if only I could 'get it' more often. They certainly do keep trying though, good thing they are so persistent!

Tracker


View My Stats