Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism

WOW.

About one week ago (at the urging of a friend), I decided to submit my Open Letter to All Professionals to The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism.  I have followed this site for a while, and have a lot of respect for the people who run it.  I had heard from my (RL and Internet) friends that it was a good piece.  I thought I might be worth a shot.  All they could say was "no thank you". 

And I am honored to say they accepted my submission!!! They posted the essay two days ago, and you can't know the thrill I got knowing it was out there.  Outside of this little blog and my little cloister of friends and followers.  What I wasn't prepared for was the overwhelming response I've had to the letter.  Apparently, it struck a chord with parents and teachers alike.  I have had tons of lovely emails from people who have really responded to it. 

I am deeply honored and thankful to everyone who has passed on words of appreciation and friendship.  It means the world to me. 

And for those new visitors to the Crack, welcome

6 comments:

Cheryl D. said...

Congrats! That's great. That's an awesome site!

Leightongirl said...

Fantastic! What great company. And it's a great piece!

Lynn said...

Congrats! Looks like you started some kind of debate over there..I was a-scared to jump in, but you already know how I feel about your piece...loved it.

Did you see the teacher's rebuttal? Instead of submitting it via email, she actually wrote a bunch of separate comments under where the submission guidelines are instead of under your post. I wonder if they post it. I don't know what they thought was so controversial about yours that they felt they needed to get defensive. You didn't think you were such an agitator right?

Pia said...

Wow, lemme tell you, I never thought I would cause such a stir! I am not sure how she got so twisted up, but clearly she took the piece WAY MORE personally than intended. I am trying not to take it too personally, because lets face it, it is easy to be mean on the internet.

Ali Harper said...

My 'lil man doesn't have autism... he actually has a rare neurological condition called hydranencephaly (a completely different story, one that you can find here~ http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/braydenharper) but your "letter" and another subsequent one posted on your blog, spoke novels to me as I'm re-routing through the never-ending, all to familiar grief cycle.

Needless to say, I'm a new follower... and a blogger, so I shared your words this morning. It was well-worth the share, and it pulled me outta my funk. Thank you! I hope you do not mind...

and nice to "meet" you new "friend" :)

Madmother said...

I am a newcomer to your blog and I love it!

You speak of what we all feel, and do it s very well.

Thank you.

Tracker


View My Stats